Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Selvedge Dress

Meet Jodi, the Selvedge Queen! Feast your eyes upon her works of art!

The amount of imagination in the world is ......uh..... unimaginable!

Keep scrolling down to read the story behind this dress.


Jodi professes an obsession for selvedge - "you know those little marker marks on the very edge of our fabric yardage.



Typically selvedge ends up in the trash can next to the cutting table


We are beginning to see these narrow edges of yardage popping up in the most unconventional places.
A Baby Quilt





A Bag

An Umbrella





A Selvedge Dress

The Story of the Selvedge Dress as told by Jodi

The dress had been brewing in my mind for almost a year before I actually started it. I spent that time collecting selvedges.

The dress took seven months to complete and the best guess would be that it has over 300 meters of selvedge in it. Each piece of selvedge overlaps the one previous and each selvedge is use as a unique piece. (no joining of the strips) The full skirt has some pieces which are almost 150 cm long.

by sharing the progress on my blog, as well as the smaller selvedge pieces I was working on, I soon got tagged as the "Creative Selvedge Freak Woman" by some local bloggers and offers of selvedge started to appear in my inbox.

Eventually the project stalled with about another 70 meters of selvedge needed. I mentioned it on my blog and the world of crafters and craft bloggers came to the rescue. Parcels were coming every day.

This dress along with all my other selvedge work has been a collaboration of hundreds of people- I just sewed it all together.
To see more of Jodi's talents, visit http://www.vintagericrac.blogspot.com

.


11 comments:

  1. That dress is AWESOME!!! All of it is. I would love to make a purse out of selvages. Well, I would love to have one, not really make it - that would take forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've come across this before and I find it absolutely amazing! I can't imagine the time and patience. I'd love to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING!!!! I have my first giveaway if you would like to pop over and check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dress is really cool. I probably couldn't sew to save my life.... But my grandma was a seamstress all her life until her eyesight faded. I know all about those bits and ends. I never ever thought about them being used this way. I really like it!

    Thanks for sharing, and thanks for stopping by my blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing work!

    Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A true work of art from the heart! Simply beautiful. Talk about repurpose and reuse...this dress gets the award for doing just that :-) Thanks for sharing this info, Glenna! The next stop for me is Jodi's vintagericrac blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really neat. Thanks for stopping by my blog today! Hope you have had a great Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the selvedge bag especially! Thanks so much for sharing, Glenna, I hope all is well w/you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic post...love the dress and the bag!

    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That's awesome! I love it! And that dress!!!

    From SITS

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been amazed at the smaller selvedge projects I've seen, but that DRESS--oh my! I do love that baby quilt too!

    ReplyDelete

Let me feel the love! I Love comments!