See Jacket Tutorial & Review by clicking the photoSewing is a slow process, but more fun when you have a little helper.
Did you not notice the magnetic pincushion which I've duct taped together?
................ a country girl can fix anything with duct tape!
Pockets attached and side seams sewn
Scroll down to see size chart
The ModKids Sophie 3 Way Pants pattern suggests using double needles when adding the top stitch details.
After digging through old sewing notions, I found one, but it is gauged for light weight fabrics.
I used it anyway........
The double row of top stitching turned out fine, but I'd suggest using the proper size twin needle.
Right sides together one pant leg inside the other........ plus a better view of the duct tape repair
Designer Patty Young uses elastic in the back of the Sophie pants leaving the front waist band smooth. There is no front fly........ the button is only for looks.
The side slit (view A) is a cute detail, but you could eliminate the slits & sew the side seam closed ...... you'll still have flared legs.
- Will I sew the Sophie pants again? YES
- Was it true to size and easy fitting? YES. (see my fitting hint below)
- Skills required - basic understanding of sewing and sewing terminology.
- If you are brand spanking new at sewing, you may want someone nearby when you make your very first pair of pants.
- If you have sewn a little and understand how to make a casing for elastic, a pocket & general skills, you should have no trouble with this pattern.
- sizes 2T - 7 included ( see size chart below & size tip below)
- classic pants style
- Suggested fabrics: quilting weight cottons, denim, corduroy, line and twill.
Take a well fitting pair of jeans and measure the outseam ( side length). Compare it to the above chart.
Zoey's height & outseam measurements are exactly one inch shorter than the size 5 on the chart. I knew I would be taking 1 inch off of the length.